Prof.Falode Olugbenga Adebanjo
The department of Petroleum Engineering at the University of Ibadan is the oldest such department in Nigeria. It was formally established in 1972 as one of the foundation departments of the Faculty of Technology and very well equipped by the Canadian Agency for International Development (CIDA) so that it could perform as a frontline educational department. However, CIDA folded up its program in Nigeria in 1975 (or there about), and the facilities have been kept in reasonable working order by the Federal Government of Nigeria through the University. The department has trained over Nine Hundred (900) Petroleum Engineers for the Nigerian and global Petroleum Industry; a significant proportion of the Petroleum Engineering workforce in the Nigerian Petroleum Industry derived their initial professional training from the University of Ibadan.
The department is dedicated to the advancement of knowledge and the enrichment of culture. The department places particular value on:
- The search for innovative applications of technology in production and management of petroleum
- To be the focal point for high quality education, training and research and development for the Oil and Gas Industry in Nigeria
- To meet the current and future requirements of the Nigerian Oil and Gas Industry for professional engineers by providing university courses tailored to industry needs
- To carry out strong fundamental and applied research and to attract industry and Government funding for research & development in oil and gas engineering
- To encourage University/Industry Interactions